There are lots of things to consider when getting ready to go to University. Here is a timeline of all the things you should be doing in the lead up; from 18 months before, until the very day you leave.
The preparation path for attending University
- May - September: Research Universities
- Use Eluceo to see what universities are out there, look at university websites and order university prospectuses.
- Attend a few open days.
- September - January: Apply through UCAS
- UCAS Deadlines:
- 15th October: Oxbridge, Medicine, Ventinary & Dental Science.
- 15th January: Most university courses.
- 14th March: Some Art & Design courses.
- UCAS Deadlines:
- January - March: Receiving your offers
- If you don't get any offers, don't worry; you can add further choices through UCAS Extra.
- If you are lucky enough to receive lots of offers you can move on to ...
- March - May: Making a choice
- If you are still not sure about where you want to study do a bit more research into your universities, understand what you want from your three years and attend visit days.
- Depending on when you received your offer, you have to apply by a specific date:
- 31st March: reply by 4th May,
- 5th May: reply by 8th June,
- 8th June: reply by 23rd June.
- May/June: Sorting out your student loan
- This should be done as soon as possible - you do not even know where you will be studying to sort this out - but, depending on the country you live in, the deadline is in either May or June.
- June - July: Apply for Accomodation
- Depending on the university, the deadline dates vary; however once you have decided where you want to go its best to get your application in early.
- August: Results!!
- August/September: Getting ready
- Apply for a student bank account.
- Pack and buy anything that you might be missing.
- Sort of all those bits and bobs, such as contents insurance, train/plane tickets, register with your university, etc.
You've made it to university.
Good Luck and enjoy it.